Email Print

Are you coming to study in Belgium?

​Belgian universities have a very good reputation; many foreigners wish to study here.

If you come from a European Union country, Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein or Switzerland

You must join a Belgian insurance fund with your EHIC (European health Insurance card). This card is issued by your insurance fund in your country of origin.

If you come from another country

International exchange programmes, in particular with the countries of South or North America, enable students from outside the European Community to come and study in Belgium.

All foreign students who are living in Belgium must have health care insurance cover.  Those who are not from the European Union, Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein or Switzerland who are registered with an insurance system of this type must seek advice from their own insurance organisation in order to check that it will provide assistance abroad.

If this is not the case, you should register with an insurance fund during your stay in Belgium by supplying a registration certificate issued by the university.  A mandatory quarterly contribution will then cover you for health care, medicine and hospital admissions.

If you would like further information, please don’t hesitate to get in touch with the international conventions service or visit our website for students.